Hedley frontman accused of violent rape

Article content

GRAPHIC WARNING: Some readers may find the content disturbing.

Advertisement 2

Article content

A second accuser has told the Jacob Hoggard sexual assault trial that the Hedley frontman violently raped her and choked her to the point that she thought she was going to die.

The young Ottawa woman, who cannot be identified, said she watched her face turn red in the Toronto hotel room mirror until Hoggard finally released his grip around her neck.

“He choked me very hard to the point where I thought he might kill me,” she testified.

She said she was too scared to leave.

“He was crazy, like a crazy person,” she explained. “He was acting like a psychopath. His eyes of him were absolutely terrifying. ”

Hoggard, 37, has pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual assault causing bodily harm involving two women as well as sexual interference when one was still 15.

advertisement 3

Article content

Unlike the teenaged complainant, the Ottawa woman was in her young 20s and had agreed to come to Toronto on Nov. 22, 2016 for a sexual encounter with the pop-rock star after they’d met on Tinder a few weeks earlier and exchanged nude photos.

See also  Forgotten Slasher D-Tox is Stallone's only true horror film (to date)

But when she arrived at the Thompson Hotel — he’d paid for her train ticket — and Hoggard led her to his room, he became a different person, she testified.

After he pushed her up against the wall and kissed her, she said she pushed him away because his aggression made her uncomfortable. They then awkwardly spent the next hour with Hoggard watching TV as he waited for his requested room from him to be ready. He was annoyed with her for being standoffish, she said.

They moved to his new room when it was ready and she went along, she said, because she had nowhere else to go. “That’s when he pushed me on the bed and raped me,” she said, her voice breaking.

advertisement 4

Article content

The woman said he first raped her anally and when she turned around to look at him, “I just saw his face and his eyes and it was really scary.”

He went on to sexually assault her vaginally and orally multiple times over the next few hours. “I said ‘No,’ and I said ‘Stop’ and I said ‘You’re hurting me.’ He kept patting me on the head and telling me I was a good girl and it would be over soon… It felt like a long time.”

She was bleeding and repeatedly saying “No,” but Hoggard not only didn’t care, she testified, but he made animal noises and called her names as he continually assaulted her.

See also  Wolverine: How Logan Stole His Phoenix Saga Costume

“He called me a dirty little pig,” she said.

At one point, she said Hoggard pulled her off the bed by her feet — causing her to land hard on the floor — and dragged her to the bathroom where he sat on her chest and urinated on her.

advertisement 5

Article content

She told her friends about what happened but never planned to tell the authorities, she said. She didn’t think anyone would believe her because she’d willingly gone to Toronto for a sexual encounter and she knew these kinds of cases are difficult to prove.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

So while she was bruised and bleeding, she never took photos. “I was never going to tell anyone what ever happened, except for my close friends and I was never going to talk about it again.”

Following a Nov. 28, 2016 visit to a doctor, the medical record says: “Victim of sexual assault … does not want to start legal proceedings.”

The jury was instructed by the judge not to take that as evidence that it happened.

On her way home to Ottawa, she said Hoggard texted her and thanked her for the “wonderful day” and said he couldn’t wait to see her again.

She said she sent him a message the next day. “You raped me and I want you to say sorry to me,” she wrote.

See also  The Avengers Campus at Disneyland Paris will open in summer 2022

Instead, Hoggard messaged back and in an unusually formal way, she said: He denied her accusation, told her it had been consensual.

In 2018, she gave an anonymous interview to the CBC and later went to police.

Cross examination begins this afternoon.

advertisement 1


Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user follows comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your e-mail settings.


Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.