Police justify slow response to shooting in Uvalde;  he thought "there were no children at risk"

At 11:28 a.m., Salvador Ramos, 18 years old, entered Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, armed, and opened fire on children and teachers. 19 minors and two teachers died during the shooting.

This Friday, Colonel Steven McCraw, Director of the Texas Department of Public Safetyreleased new details about the investigation. However, these statements have only increased society’s questions about the authorities’ slow response to stop Ramos.

In front of journalists, McCraw acknowledged that the gunman He entered the campus without any authority stopping himthrough an unlocked door and remained inside for nearly an hour.

Minutes before the attack, the colonel detailed, Ramos crashed into a school street, very close to a funeral home. The employees came out and confronted him, but the subject shot them before going to school. Neither person was injured.

Photo: Reuters

Upon entering, Ramos went to two rooms, the 111 and the 112, where he shot McCraw said the shooter had 1,157 bullets between the ones he was carrying in his backpack and the ones he had loaded in the assault rifle. He added that the attacker fired at least 100 bullets.

When questioned about the delay of the officers to stop Salvador Ramos, the colonel said that the commander on the scene believed that “the subject was entrenched” in the place and that “there were no children at risk.” He added that the officer believed they had time to organize.

McCraw explained that they did not act faster so as not to put at risk those they considered hostages, not targets of a massacre like the one that occurred. He said the researchers can’t pinpoint how many children died in that time that the agents waited to act.

See also  Justice Society: World War II is a bold love letter to the Golden Age

“It was a bad decision, period. There are no excuses for not having done it,” she admitted.

The kids called 911

Some of the students trapped in classrooms with the gunman survived the massacre, including at least two who called 911McCraw said, though he did not offer a specific count.

Someone whom McCraw did not identify called 911 several times beginning at 12:03 p.m., telling police in a whisper that there were multiple dead and that there were still “eight to nine” students left alivesaid the colonel. A student called at 12:47 pm and pleaded with the operator to “send the police now.”

Photo: Reuters

Officers did not enter the classroom until 12:50 pm, according to McCraw, when the Border Patrol tactical team used a janitor’s keys to open the locked door and kill Ramos.

Videos that emerged on social media Thursday showed desperate parents urging police to enter the school during the attackand some had to be held by the police.

“What do I tell the parents? I have nothing to say to the parents, apart from what happened. We are not here to defend what happened, we are here to denounce the facts so that they have the facts,” McCraw said.


Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.